Say It How It Is about viBe
viBe Theater Experience (viBe) is a non-profit performing arts/ education organization that empowers teenage girls through the creation and production of original performances.
We provide a safe space for girls (ages 13-19) to write, create and perform collaborative performances about real-life issues as they express their unique voices, take on challenges and gain the self-confidence to succeed personally, socially and academically.. Our free programs and productions inspire teenage girls to direct, publish, record and perform in art forms including theater, dance, poetry and music. Since our founding in 2002, viBe arms our girls with the tools of creativity so that they can inspire our communities and transform themselves. Our shows attract diverse audiences as we are not only cultivating new voices, but also new listeners.
Our programs build skills and experiences that empower teenage girls to develop their creative voices while building trust, responsibility, self-confidence, leadership skills and mutual respect.
In viBe, girls are given the opportunity to:
- Express themselves through writing, music and performance
- Challenge and resist stereotypes through presenting new stories that celebrate the strengths of girls in our communities
- Explore their creative voices in a nurturing setting
- Develop literacy skills through the writing and revision process
- Problem-solve through role playing and improvisation
- Build trust by supporting each other onstage and off
- Learn responsibility by working as a member of a team
- Cultivate respect for themselves and others through creative conflict resolution
- Develop job-training skills in technical theater, directing, design, marketing and management to expand girls’ career options
- Learn life skills including arriving on time, completing assignments, memorizing parts and giving 100% to a group endeavor
- Reinforce leadership skills by working in a collaborative environment
- Build self-confidence when they hear the roar of applause which validates their months of hard work
- Challenge themselves to greater levels of success through creative risk taking